Onroad Driving Education Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the Safer Drivers Course offered through Onroad Driving Education?

Q: Are all your cars dual-controlled?

Yes, all our driving instructors are accredited by RTA so we provide driving lessons in dual-controlled vehicles. In fact, we prefer to use our cars for driving lessons.

Q: Do you have a cancellation policy?

Yes we apply a cancellation fee if you cancel within 24 hours

Q: Can I book my DKT (Driver Knowledge Test) online?

Yes, you can your DKT online at https://www.myrta.com/wps/portal/extvp/myrta/licence

Q: Where can I find more information about getting my NSW driver's licence?

Please visit the official RMS website at http://www.rms.nsw.gov.aufor the latest information.

Q: What is the minimum age required to apply for a driver's licence in Australia

You must be at least 16 years old before you can apply for a driver licence (Car class C) in Australia.

Q: What is the DKT?

The Driver Knowledge Test is computer-based test is the first stage of the driver licence process and is composed of 45 questions. You are required to answer at least 41 questions correctly (12 questions correctly among the 15 general knowledge questions and at least 29 among the 30 road safety questions)

Q: Do you advise to learn both automatic and manual?

It would be best to learn automatic to begin with. We do suggest that as it is the easier option and will help you gain confidence on the road and in traffic. If you wish to learn manual you can do so after passing your practical driver test.

Q: How does the demerit point system work

The Demerit Point Scheme allocates penalty points for various offences. A certain amount of demerit points can lead to suspension of your driver licence.

Click here for more detailed information: https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/demerits-offences

Q: How long will it take to get my driver licence?

That totally depends on your skills, learning abilities and consistency with driving. We are determined to be showing you the safest and most practical way to learn how to drive but every student is different. We will not push you to go for your test until you are ready to drive safely and are familiar with all road rules.

Q: Do you fill in my logbook?

Your instructor will fill in your log book after every lesson.

Q: How long do lessons go for?

Your lessons go for 1 hour and your instructor will pick you up and then drop you off at the given address. The instructor may also discuss your 20-point safety analysis which might take a few minutes.

Q: I hold an overseas licence. Is it going to help me get my NSW driver's licence faster?

It depends of the origin of the overseas licence as well as your driving skills. Your instructor will assess your skills at the start of your first lesson and go through the 20-point analysis report. Please contact our office for further information about converting your overseas licence to an NSW driver licence.

Q: Do you provide a car for the practical driving test?

Yes, we do provide a test car at a reasonable rate. We also pick you up an hour beforehand, so you are confident and comfortable for a test.

Q: Do you offer lessons on weekends?

Yes we do take bookings on the weekends however, weekends are our busiest times so we advice you book a few days ahead.

Q: Am I able to learn in my own car?

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ALL BYO (Bring Your Own Vehicle) LESSONS: You must have comprehensive car insurance and the learner's name inside the policy. You are entirely liable for any damage or claim whatsoever, so please ensure you are fully covered for your peace of mind.

Please find more information regarding learner vehicles here.


Q: Do you offer a 3-for-1 driving lesson so I can get three hours towards my logbook?

Q: Do all your instructors have a Working with Children Check?

Yes, all our instructors have a Working with Children Check.

Under Part 2 of the Child Protection Act 2012 anyone involved in child related work needs a Working with Children Check. For more information please refer to the official website:


Q: What is the Hazard Perception Test (HPT)?

As part of the licensing process you are required to first pass the Hazard Perception Test in order to progress to your P1 licence.

The Hazard Perception Test is a computer-based test that measures your ability to recognise dangerous situations and respond appropriately. Visit the link below to book your Hazard Perception Test.


Q: Where is the closest TFNSW Service Centre?

Please jump on the TfNSW website to locate your closest Service Centre.


Q: Why should I choose to go with Onroad Driving Education?

Onroad Driving Education is Australia's Leading Experts in Driver Education. With over 3000 5-star reviews, we can guarantee excellent service, professionalism and value for money. We offer: a pick-up and drop-off service from your home address, No extra charge on the weekends, Female instructors (selected suburbs only), Flexible timings - 7 days a week and competitive pricing. .

Q: What are the differences between driving an automatic car and a manual car?

The main difference is that Automatic cars don’t have a clutch pedal to operate it and also have a simplified gearbox; it's a smooth transition driving from point A to point B; The car itself selects the right gear for the speed and road conditions. Manual transmission cars require you to switch between different gears, giving you full control over how the car performs.

Q: Do you accept credit cards?

Yes we do over the phone, when you book on our website and all of our cars are equipped with credit card facilities for your convenience. Please note that a 2% fee applies to all card payments to cover the cost of processing the payment.

Q: What vehicles are available to drive at Onroad Driving Education?

We have a varied range of 5 Star ANCAP Vehicles: Toyota, Suzuki, Mazda, Subaru, Nissan, Kia, Ford and Mini Cooper (select suburbs only.)

Q: How do I book for my Driving Test?

Contact your local Transport Authority during office hours, book online using the link below or download the free mobile app to select your test date and time.


Q: Can I get any Log Book credit through an Online Course?

Unfortunately, the online courses do not offer any log book credit. If you would like to gain 20 Log book hours please visit our Safer Drivers Course page if you are under the age of 25 and have 50 log book hours already accrued.


Q: How can I become a Driving Instructor and work for Onroad Driving Education?

If you have completed your TLI41218 - Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics (Road Transport - Car Driving Instruction) and would like to work for Onroad please visit the link below and choose which application you would like to fill out. If you have not yet completed your qualification, click "How to become a Driving Instructor" on the same link .


Back to Top